Yet another prototype of the gauge mechanism has been made and this might even be the one that will be used in the final model. The gear shafts have been repositioned so that everything runs together more smoothly, which will make using the gauge feel much more pleasant.
Also, I’ve finally found a drive belt for the mechanism. After trying lots of different materials and components, I managed to get a little belt from a broken printer, which is perfect for its new purpose. It happens to be just the right width and length for the gears, it has a sufficient amount of friction against the gears and its tight enough that there is no give when turning it, as apposed to the elastic bands in earlier prototypes. This is a huge relief.
Now all that is left of the gauge system is to find a shaft appropriate for the dial. Perhaps a steel rod if I can get one that is the right width. If not then I’ll have to redo some of the gears.
I’ll also be working on a suitable finish for the aluminium over the next few days as time is closing in and I’d like to have the aluminium finished to a high standard as it is one of the really important details in my opinion.