Again small changes have been made while bringing everything together. At this end stage it seems to be mostly just about ironing out lots of little details. But this is more difficult than it sounds.
For this iteration I’ve rounded the corners more carefully so that they will press the leatherette tightly against the internal corners of the aluminium so that there will be no gaps. Another small detail that should help make the the final product look much more resolved and professional.
I’ve also had a little practise of painting the outer part of the sound horn. I’m glad I did this because I now know that I will have to sand each layer individually before glueing them together so that i can get a good finish from the paint. I’ve also learned that the black matt paint I have will be suitable if I get the MDF sanded well. This first try has given a very rough outcome so I’ll need to try again to get a nice smooth finish but I’ll also been considering a rougher finish on the sound horn which kind of has a leathery effect which might be nice.
The last little change is a support for inside the device for holding the gauge mechanism. So far to seems like I’ve got this sitting at exactly the right height but I’ll have to wait until the gauge is finished to find out.
Time is running out for this project and I still have a long way to go. But I’m also beginning to see how far I’ve come, which is helping to me push on.